<span class="highlight">Solar</span> <span class="highlight">panel</span> wire

Submitted: Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 14:44
ThreadID: 85956 Views:3720 Replies:6 FollowUps:21
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, Having a new van built in the near future and want to be sure that the wire from panels to battery is capable of carrying the load and have negligable voltage drop. Van will be 21 ft and have 3 x 135 watt panels.
Plan on supplying the manufacturer 2 x 30 mtr rolls of 8 B&S 7.9 SQ MM and would like the forums opinion if this is of sufficent capacity. As it is going to run thru the walls i would like to get it correct the first time.
Thanks for all replys
Den and Col
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 15:00

Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 15:00
Should be heavy enough for wiring to the solar panels. It will not be heavy enough for battery charging from your alternator.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 452735

Follow Up By: den57 - Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 15:33

Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 15:33
Thanks for the reply. We dont intend to connect to the car to charge the batterys , the same as we havent with our present van , but rely on solar for the house batterys. Our normal daily drive time is only 2 or 3 hours and have not had a problem.
Den and Col
FollowupID: 725430

Reply By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 15:37

Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 15:37
Need to know the max output current for each panel and whether they will be in series or parallel. Also need to know the length of the cable run.

Guessing a few figures to give you an indicative answer if each panel delivers 6 amps then there'd be 18 amps in total, round it up to 20, and you hook them in parallel, and the cable run is 40 feet, then the voltage drop on the whole circuit (2 x 40feet) would be 1.033. That could be around 5%, depending on the voltage of the panels, which I think is too high.

If you set them up in series the current would be 6 amps and the voltage drop would be about 0.3, which is far better. In series the voltage is tripled, so that 0.3V drop represents only about 0.5% drop.

Have a play with the calculator below the table at http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

A series set-up is generally more efficient, but you'll need a regulator that will accept the high input voltage. (Need to know the open circuit voltage of each panel to be able to talk about that.)

Frank

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 452738

Follow Up By: den57 - Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 16:52

Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 16:52
Hi Frank. The panels will be in parallel and i guess the run from the panel would be at least 25 ft, and the regulator is a Xantrax 35 amp reg.
Just one question with regards wire size as i have read that there are a few different ways that are used to measure automotive wire. Is 8 B&S (i believe that stands for battery and starter but happy to be corrected ) the same as 8AWG. I did see on the table that 8AWG has a conductor that is 3.26 mm but i havent purchased the wire that was recommended so not sure if 8 B&S is the same or different size conductor.
Den and Col
FollowupID: 725437

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 17:34

Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 17:34
Hi Den and Col,

B&S stands for Browne and Sharpe (dunno about the "e"s on the end, one or other has it I think :-) ) Anyway, B&S is interchangeable with AWG.

If your panels put out 8 amps each and the cable run is 25 ft of 8 B&S, the voltage drop will be 0.78, about 19 watts loss out of 390. I imagine that is acceptable.

Cheers

Frank
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 725442

Follow Up By: den57 - Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 17:50

Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 17:50
Thanks for the replys Frank.
Guess you are talking about missing out on about 8 amps for the whole day.
The problem is that every time i think about the van i seem to find a reason to spend another couple of hundred dollars.The overall cost just seems to keep climbing. Will talk to the manufacturer about going in series with the panels but i do like the idea of the reg being fitted in the boot with a remote readout. From memory you are talking about a MPPT regulator? Will do some more research to see if i can get one that will give charge rate /volts and load via a remote head.
De and Col
FollowupID: 725444

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 18:58

Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 18:58
Den and Col,

It's pretty hard to specify how many amp-hours a day you'd lose, as it depends on conditions - shade, cloud, air clarity, season, latitude, the angle of your panels to the sun - I assume they will be flat on the roof.

I think with 390 watts of panels flat on the roof and with the panels in series feeding an MPPT controller through 8 B&S cable you'll be doing ok.

In good sun the output from an MPPT regulator hooked up to your panels in series could be around 27 amps. Make sure the regulator is big enough and also the cable from the reg to the battery for that sort of current. If you have a 2 metre run from the reg to the battery, I'd be going for 6 B&S, only because on the charging side, tenths of a volt are important for multi-stage chargers, and a good MPPT regulator will be multi-stage.

BTW, how big are your batteries (amp-hours)?

Frank

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 725456

Follow Up By: den57 - Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 19:47

Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 19:47
Will ring the manufacturer on Monday after i have sussed out a suitable reg. We're having 3x120 amp hr AGM batterys fitted and have decided to go with a 3 way fridge so no high current draw from that angle. Have one in the present van and works great.
You don't have any tips re MPPT regulatorwith a remote readout?
Den and Col
FollowupID: 725470

Follow Up By: den57 - Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 20:10

Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 20:10
One other question Frank, having a quick look i note that the regulators are for 12,24,or 48 volt, therefore does this mean that you cant run 3 panels in series and have 36v.
Also if you have shade on one panel when in series is this going to drop the charge drastically. That is to say do you only miss the output of that panel or does it mean that the resultant drop in overall voltage means little output due to a low total voltage.
Thanks again for the help.
Den and Col
FollowupID: 725472

Follow Up By: Battery Value Pty Ltd - Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 21:13

Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 21:13
When you see a regulator rated at 12/24/48V, then this is most likely the battery voltage.
So if your system has a 12V battery, select a 12V regulator.
If you want to wire 3 12V panels in series which gives you minimum current hence minimum voltage drop between the panels and the regulator, but maximum input voltage (up to 66V), select a MPPT solar regulator which 'transforms' the high input voltage to the lower battery voltage, making extra charging amps in the process.
This MPPT regulator needs to be specced 80V or higher on the input side(under cold conditions the solar input voltage can creep up quite a bit).
B&S8 will be sufficient if you use the panels in a series configuration.

And to answer your other question about shading:
No, shading of one or two panels won't affect the other panels as long as each panel has a bypass diode.

cheers, Peter
FollowupID: 725479

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 21:18

Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 21:18
Den and Col,

In this thread I mentioned the GSL brand. They make a 15, 30 and 60 amp MPPT regulator, all with a remote display option. I have had good results with their 30 amp model, despite the opinions of some posters in that thread.

In that topic others mentioned Morningstar which do have a remote monitor option on some models.

There are plenty with displays, but fewer with remote displays. Maybe some others here can help?

The 12, 24 or 48 volts regulators refer to the nominal voltage of the battery system they are connected to. My regulator can auto-detect whether its connected to a 12 volt or 24 volt system. Others may detect a greater range, and others may be good for only one specific nominal voltage.

So-called 12 volt panels have a typical open circuit voltage of about 22 volts (some more, some less) which drops under load. If you put 3 in series you will have up to 66 volts going into your regulator. Fine - in fact, better - as long as the wiring meets the required standard safety-wise and the regulator is designed to take that input voltage. Simplistically, an MPPT regulator will mess around with the combination of volts and current to get the maximum watts out of the panel - and that is what you want.

Panels the size of yours connected in series need bypass diodes. By-pass diodes help to control the effects of shade on part of a panel. I have found that after changing my panels from all parallel to serial, shade on part of a panel has less effect on the output that when they were all in parallel.

Larger so-called 12V panels like yours usually have them built in, so setting them up in series is as easy as setting them up in parallel - it's just a matter of where the wires go. Best to check for the diodes, though - open the junction boxes and have a look.

Without the diodes, shade on part of a panel will drastically affect the output of the system and in the worst case can damage cells or panels. Heaps of infohere if your a techie person.

Cheers

Frank

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 725481

Follow Up By: den57 - Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 22:59

Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 22:59
Thanks for that info.I am doing more reading on the net and getting a better understanding of things now. Can see where the benefits are in using the MPPT.
A 30 amp MPPT is too low i feel and 60 is an overkill .Thanks for your info as well Peter. The better informed i am the easier to make the correct choice
Den and Col.
FollowupID: 725495

Follow Up By: Battery Value Pty Ltd - Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 09:17

Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 09:17
Hello again,

....a 30A MPPT is too low....

Yes, but only on paper.

Real situation:

Max theoretical solar power is 3x135W=405W, but only if the sun is perpendicular to the panels, and if the cells are cooled to 25 degrees.
In real life, the solar wattage will be at least 10% lower (at perpendicular), due to cell heating, dropping the max available output to 365W.
The wires and the solar regulator gobble up around 5% of this, leaving only 346W of charging power.
If the battery's deeply discharged, this will result in a charging current of max 346W/12V=29A, less if the depth of discharge was lower.
But again, only while the sun is perpendicular to the panels.
You can't do any damage by maxing out a MPPT regulator.
In a nutshell, forking out extra Dollars for a higher specced MPPT doesn't really make sense in this case.

cheers, Peter
FollowupID: 725518

Follow Up By: Member - Robert R1 (SA) - Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 16:03

Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 16:03
This has been an interesting and informative thread. When I hooked my 3x80w panels up I never gave any thought to wiring them in series. I have a Plasmatronics PL20 which is not an MPPT Regulator. Is there any benefit in me changing to series? I believe the PL20 can handle 100v input.

Regards,
Bob
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended, And at night the wondrous glory of the everlasting stars. Clancy of the Overflow.

FollowupID: 725572

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Monday, May 02, 2011 at 17:17

Monday, May 02, 2011 at 17:17
Hi Robert,

I had a quick look through the PL series reference and user manuals. It was a quick look, not a thorough read, but I didn't find anything about connecting the panels in series. Might be worth asking Plasmatronics.

I think perhaps the main benefit would be reduced losses in the cable between the panels and the regulator, because if you connect them in series the current will only one third of what it is now.

If your cables are fat enough to give you minimal losses now, you probably won't see much benefit. However if they're long and a bit on the thin side, then you could well pick up a worthwhile benefit.

Have a play with the calculator mentioned in my reply at the top. I'm guessing your panels output about 4.8 amps, call it 5 for easy maths. In parallel, in a perfect world, you have a total current of 15 amps in the cable from the panels to the reg. In series it would be 5 amps.

Choose a wire gauge, choose a one-way cable length, choose a current (5 or 15) and calculate. The voltage drop times the current will be your wasted watts, which you want to be a low as practicable.

You may need a wire gauge conversion chart to help.

Frank

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 725816

Follow Up By: Member - Robert R1 (SA) - Monday, May 02, 2011 at 21:08

Monday, May 02, 2011 at 21:08
Thanks Frank,

I have used 8mm2 cable all round so using your tables and calculator I shouldn't see much of a voltage drop. Two of my panels are side by side and are paralleled panel to panel with only a 1 meter cable to the regulator. The other panel is down the end of my canopy and the cable is about 4 meters so I would be seeing 10A in one cable and 5A in the other. The distance from regulator to batteries is about 1 meter. After doing the sums there is probably no good reason to change my setup.

I wish the panels were as cheap when I bought mine as they are now. I would love to have a couple of 200w panels powering my gear. Even with 240w I still have to manage my power consumption carefully at times.

Thanks again,
Bob

And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended, And at night the wondrous glory of the everlasting stars. Clancy of the Overflow.

FollowupID: 725863

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Monday, May 02, 2011 at 23:06

Monday, May 02, 2011 at 23:06
Bob,

I envy you your rig :-)

Is there room in there for, say, a 120 watt fold-up portable array. Give it 10 metres of decent sheathed twin core cable (Repco sell it as Narva 50 amp), terminate with an Anderson plug, provide an Anderson input to your reg in parallel with the other panels.

In VERY favourable conditions you may max out your reg, but as Peter from Battery Value said, that's ok - the reg will just deliver what it can but on the odd occasion when there's more available it'll just be lost. You'd have 360 watts which isn't too far off 400, you don't need to upgrade your expensive and very good reg and you have a portable panel which you can move around to maximise input that you might not be getting from your roof-mounted ones.

Just a thought

Frank
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 725874

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Monday, May 02, 2011 at 23:17

Monday, May 02, 2011 at 23:17
Bob,

Is there room in your rig for, say, a 120 watt fold-up portable array. Give it 10 metres of decent sheathed twin core cable (Repco sell it as Narva 50 amp), terminate with an Anderson plug, provide an Anderson input to your reg in parallel with the other panels.

In very favourable conditions you may max out your reg, but as Peter from Battery Value said, that's ok - the reg will just deliver what it can but on the odd occasion when there's more available it'll just be lost. 360 watts is close to 400, you don't need to upgrade your expensive and very good reg, you have a portable panel which you can move around to maximise input that you might not be getting from your roof-mounted ones and better output in less than perfect conditions.

Just a thought

Frank
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 725875

Follow Up By: Member - Robert R1 (SA) - Tuesday, May 03, 2011 at 22:16

Tuesday, May 03, 2011 at 22:16
Frank,

I am like a boy in a lolly shop. I fill my pockets up and I still want more. I probably don't need any more but I have thought of doing as you suggest and getting a fold up panel. I am sure I can find a spot for it somewhere.

Regards,
Bob

FollowupID: 725992

Reply By: S Paul - VIC - Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 16:29

Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 16:29
Any decent quality copper core insulated cable will be fine - We use 2.5mm2 twinflex - Voltage drop between the panels and the regulator is really not an issue worth worrying about - If you drop 1 volt you still have 20 or 21 Volts in the cable ...
Voltage drop is only a major concern when it happens between the regulator and the battery ... This is where you need larger cable .

Cheers

Steve
AnswerID: 452748

Follow Up By: den57 - Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 16:58

Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 16:58
Therefore placing the regulator in the boot near the batterys would be the way to go? In the photos of the display van that we have it appears as though the voltage display in the van is a remote display unit so i assume the reg is in the boot. Will add that question to the list for the builder.
Thanks for the reply.
Den and Col
FollowupID: 725439

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 17:04

Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 17:04
If you lose volts in a circuit carrying current, you lose watts, doesn't matter where the loss is. You're right in the sense that a volt lost before the regulator is less of a loss than a volt lost after the regulator because you lose fewer watts. However, it's a risky statement to say, without qualification, "Voltage drop between the panels and the regulator is really not an issue worth worrying about"

The 6 amp example was too low. Those panels are more likely to deliver about 8 amps. In parallel they would total 24 amps. With 2.5mm2 cable over 40 ft at 24 amps there would be a 5 volt drop.

That IS a concern, it's 120 watts that will never get to the regulator - 120 watts wasted out of 390, about 30%.

If he wants to save on copper he should install the panels in series. Then the cable he has already bought will be fine. In a parallel array, at 24 amps he will lose 1.25 volts over a 40 ft run - that's 32 watts lost from a 390 watt array, probably acceptable if an 8% loss is acceptable to him. (He did ask for negligible loss - it's up to him to decide what is negligible, I guess.)
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 725441

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 18:43

Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 18:43
Den and Col,

With 8 B&S (=8 AWG as others have said) and 25 amps, (that's the maximum from your panels), you will lose less than 5% of the panel voltage over the 50 ft (25 x2 : mustn't forget the return path!). It is important to mount the mppt controller close to the batteries so that losses between controller and batteries is minimised. Losses upsteam of the controller are much less important. Any losses between controller and batteries can have a major impact on charge rate.

Cheers

John

J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 452768

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 06:51

Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 06:51
VOTLAGE DROP =
[cable length (in metres) X current (in amps) X 0.0164] divided by cable cross-section in mm.sq.

Cable length is the TOTAL of the active and the earth lengths.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 452797

Follow Up By: den57 - Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 09:54

Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 09:54
Thanks Peter and Margaret. Will file that away in the computer for future reference.
Den n Col
FollowupID: 725523

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 09:54

Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 09:54
You seem to have quite a bit of the cable. If you have enough, then run 3 pairs from the roof to the regulator. That will mean your losses are minimal with each cable only carrying one panel worth of current, and gives you reconfiguration flexibility in the future.

Also the regulator should be as close as possible within reason to the batteries with a much heavier cable for that section. The voltage drop on the battery side of the regulator is much more important than on the panel side.

AnswerID: 452811

Follow Up By: den57 - Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 18:52

Saturday, Apr 30, 2011 at 18:52
I was wanting to stick with Xantrex if i go with the series installation and mppt train of thought, but as they are 60 amp, and over $900 i think it is a bit of an over kill.Trying to find something around 40 amp so there is a bit of capacity for expansion and is of reasonable quality.At $900 would probably go back to parellel and spend the money on an extra panel.
With regards the excess wire, we plan on getting them to use the 7.9 sq mm wire for the 12 volt outlets as well.
Den and Col
FollowupID: 725593

Sponsored Links